Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Need help with 13 yr old fingers been to derm and ped.

Customer Question

need help with 13 yr old fingers been to derm and ped. thought warts so went with zyclara, ceraVe , psorcon, and coal tar 2% no good results.
I have a photo of what they look like.
He plays basketball and pulls the fingernails instead of biting. He is also been pulling the skin that is rough and bleeding occurs. deep cracks are there that look like dryness.
He spent 5 hours at a water park and that is the only thing that has helped.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
here are photos
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

This looks most like Fingertip Eczema to me. There might be a subungual wart in the little finger but this might also just be dead skin build up. I would approach a case like this twice daily application of a super potent steroid like Clobetasol or Halobetasol under occlusion (clingwrap wrapped around the tip and secured with paper tape) for a few weeks. The hands should also be kept well moisturized - Cerave is good for this but needs to be used at least 3-4 times a day, and preferably after each hand wash. Once the eczema is clear any wart tissue will become more apparent - if present this can be frozen off at a later date.

The Psorcon cream used is a mid-potent steroid and often does not work for more severe cases of eczema. Zyclara is for warts and will only worsen eczema. Coal Tar often fails to work in the acute stages of eczema.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.