dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

What are term effects from using accutane as teenager in the

Customer Question

What are long term effects from using accutane as teenager in the 90's? it didnt take for me, i still have acne and scarring. its not as bad on doxycyline oral pills though.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

In the typical case, there are no long term problems. That is if a patient is placed on a typical dose of Accutane 0.5 mg/kg a day for 4-6 weeks for 1-2 courses. However, if a patient is placed on multiple courses of Accutane or takes a normal course for say 2 years, some bone changes have been reported. Such bone changes consist of small osteophytes ( tiny projections of bone) in the spine and some thickening of the bone in selected places.It is unfortunate that it did not work for you. You might check out photodynamic therapy which can have long-lasting success similar to what is usually reported with Accutane.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

A liquid called Levulan is applied to the face and 1 hour later you are placed in front of a light machine for 16 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow i didnt know that...thank you!!!
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

The problem with the Photodynamic therapy is that you have to use higher energy levels and patients will often develop a sunburn. But it does work.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

As far as the bone changes. I routinely get spine films ( X rays) if I am placing patients on Accutane for the fourth time. So far, none have been positive.