dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I am 32 and have a skin problem which are red small bumps

Customer Question

Hello, I am 32 and have a skin problem which are red small bumps mainly on my groin area, inner thighs and a little bit on the front of my thighs beside groin area, one of my left forearm. It has a lot of itching with no pain at all. This has been there since 2.5/3 weeks I guess. The one on my groin area have turned less red but some new came up like 4/5 on the front of my thighs beside the groin area on both sides, one on my forearm. pls advise what to do and what is this exactly ?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Is it possible to forward a photograph? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope you got the picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since today I have started benadryl anti allergy tabs twice daily
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the picture. My impression is that this is a condition called lichen planus. We do not know what causes this.There are a number of forms. Lichen Planus is marked by the five P's: Polygonal, purple, planar (flat-topped), Pruritic ( itchy) papules. While this usually does go away on its own, we often treat this with a strong corticosteroid and an oral steroid. However, since I cannot be certain,I would recommend that your physician perform a skin biopsy. In addition, I cannot be sure that this is not secondary syphilis, so a blood test for that would be a good idea. I do not think this is allergic in nature so, I do not think Benedryl will help aside from helping you fall asleep. Thus, I would just take that at bedtime.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but I think it has spread more after shaving otherwise it was very slow and went reddish to less reddish on the groin area
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

The immediate area around the upper thigh area does seem to have some pustules and this may be what is being spread. In other words there looks like there is a superficial folliculitis there. However, this does not account for the rest of the rash, which is most likely lichen planus to me eye. Lichen planus can spread rather rapidly: there is a form called eruptive lichen planus which does this. While I do not think it is secondary syphilis, to miss that diagnosis would be a terrible mistake, especially in light of a simple blood test can be diagnostic.