dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have been having scalp problems few years now. Seems like

Customer Question

I have been having scalp problems for a few years now. Seems like every time I shampoo my hair, my scalp reacts by creating these very sore scalp like pimples. No pus in them but but they are extremely painful. I have tried every shampoo over the counter and online with no relief. I thought maybe a med for scalp pimples would be the answer but that failed as well, only aggravating this scalp condition.
Can you tell me what this condition is and how to get rid of it ?
Thanks, Robert
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for asking your question. Which medication for "scalp pimples" were you prescribed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have never been prescribed any medication. Do you know what this is ?

If there is no destruction of the hair follicles, then this is most likely a folliculitis, or an infection of the hair follicles. This may be caused by Pitrosporum a yeast like organism or perhaps a fungus. I would first recommend an antifungal shampoo such as Lorpox. If you have not tried Selsun Blue yet, that would be worth trying before a prescription strength shampoo. The other cause of folliculitis is bacterial. This is best treated with Tetracycline 500 mg. twice a day. A second possibility is a much less common condition called Acne Necrotica Miliaris ( this is not relatd to typical teenage acne by the way. This is more severe in that it causes death of the hair follicles. It usually is also treated with Tetracycline, but the treatment is less effective.

If you are able to forward a picture I might be of better assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm still waiting for an answer from you

Most likely a folliculitis due to a yeast like organism called Pityrosporum. I would recommend a prescription strength shampoo such as Loprox shampoo. A 10 day course of Sporonox in addition. If you have not tried Selsun Blue, that would be a good over the counter suggestion.

I would be happy to look at a picture.

If you would llike another opinion, please let me know.