khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I went to derm on Tuesday Cheilitis. He gave nystatin

Customer Question

Hello, I went to derm on Tuesday for Angular Cheilitis. He gave nystatin ointment and valtrex. He said he wanted to cover bases and do fungal and viral treatment. I don't like to take meds and they make me sick. Can't see taking 500 mg 3 times a day for 5 days. I called them back and they called in anti viral ointment but it isn't covered and was $800 to purchase. Now the office is closed for Christmas. I guess I want to know if the antiviral is necessary or if it will heal on its own anyway. Also I have kids am I contagious? Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

In many cases, no treatment is needed and angular cheilitis resolves by itself. If it is Herpes, it is contagious. You should cover the area with bandaid.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you tell from pic? Dr said angular but may have viral component.

If there are/were small blisters, they are herpes.

If not, they are not.

Even though they are herpes, they will resolve by themselves.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No no blisters at all just a sore at the angle of my mouth. I thought it was a canker sore at 1st. Thanks

Okay. They are not herpes. If you don't have diabetes or are on antibiotics, thrush is also not likely. It could be due to iron deficiency, riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency, sensitive skin. You don't need to worry about it very much.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do have a bad taste in my mouth (I've had a stuffy nose too) but the dr said he didn't see signs of Thrush. Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have anxiety I don't sleep well and I have had bad canker sores so haven't been eating much

Canker sores are not caused by herpes. Canker sores don't develop as Angular Cheilitis. They are different.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you!

You are welcome. Take care.