Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I had strep throat thanksgiving week about a week later I

Customer Question

I had strep throat thanksgiving week about a week later I broke out it a bunch of itchy bumps they are all over my body and itch I have had them for about 2 weeks now
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of an affected area be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They itch really bad and are spreading all over they mainly itch at night or when I take a hot shower

Thank you for the photographs. Your leg rash looks most like something called Leukocytoclastic Vasculitis. This is an inflammation of the small blood vessels of the skin and is a common complication of streptococcal throat infection. It usually lasts 2-6 weeks and then clears up spontaneously. As long as a person is not feeling sick the rash only needs symptomatic management for the itch etc. The diagnosis should be confirmed by a doctor in person and if required a skin biopsy will be done. Once confirmed the treatment consists of oral NSAID drugs or oral steroids.

If you cannot see a doctor, and lack other symptoms like excessive tiredness, decreased urine output/blood in the urine, marked swelling of the hands/feet/face, shortness of breath, loss of appetite - then you can try taking Tablet Claritin 10 mg twice a day along with Tablet Advil 400 mg twice a day (after meals). Keep your skin well moisturized and apply Cortizone-10 ointment on the rash twice a day. Do this for 5-7 days to see if you feel better. Continue if you do, if not you should see a doctor in person.

All of the products mentioned above are available over the counter without a prescription.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.