Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have a question about a Spitz nevus.

Customer Question

I have a question about a Spitz nevus.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

You type pretty good for a seven year old :)

How are you related to the child in question?

Do they have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry....its my daughter. I put her age in the age field. First we were told it was a congenital nevus. It showed up when she was little. It was checked every year or so. This last time was about a year and a half from last time and now they want to remove it because one side looks more darker and raised. She said something about a Spitz nevus. They are removing it tomorrow but I am freaking out about melanoma. Is that common? To be sure if they thought it was melanoma they would have removed it her first visit.... I have attached a picture of it. It has changed a little, it's not huge...about the size of a pencil eraser.

Thank you for the picture. It doesn't look scary to me but it is impossible to form a solid opinion on a skin lesion from just a picture.

So. What can we say about this pigmented mole thing:

It might be a spitz nevi. But, First and foremost a spitz nevi IS NOT A CANCER; it is not a melanoma and it is nothing to worry about.

Also, melanomas are very, very, very rare in 7 year olds while benign nevi are common.....

Once it is removed tomorrow the pathologist will take a look under the microscope and you will know exactly what it is....

As a surgeon and a father of five I can tell you that I do not see any reason to freak out at this point ;)

Make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Best of luck tomorrow.

Have a Happy Holiday Season :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read that about melanomas in children and it was like 0.7%. She just said that if it does have atypical cells in it then it's better to be removed so those atypical cells do not turn into melanoma or something else. And she just wants to remove it because it has changed since the last picture in march of 2014. We go ever 12 to 18 months or so to get it checked. Or sooner if it gets irritated or ulcerative they said (but it has not ever gotten that way). It is asymmetrical, irregular borders and irregular color so I assume they just want to remove it just because. But i did read spitz nevi and congenital nevi DO NOT follow the abcd rules....is thatcorrect?

You are correct.

And you need not worry :)

She will be fine.

Make sense?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir! So those types of moles can change and do look atypical?

The pathology report will give more information then how it looks to the naked eye.....just wait, you will know soon enough.

Time to relax and get ready for tomorrow.....

Trust me. I'm a Doctor. :)

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But am I correct in what I just said about those types of moles change and look atypical?

Is there a reason you are so afraid right now?