Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have all these painful spots on the insides of my upper

Customer Question

Hi there have all these painful spots on the insides of my upper thighs theyre full of puss and black heads everywhere they get very large and sometimes so inflamed i cant walk ive been getting them for about 4 years now ive been to a gp and they just say its bacteria build up but im very clean and i always treat it with creams nothing helps, please can you help me
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello Brodie.

It will help if you could provide some further information.

Could you attach a picture of these spots, particularly when they are more inflamed, if possible?

Which creams have been tried?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** of antifungal cream anti bacterial creams etc

Thank you for the pictures.

There are several comments that are pertinent in this situation.

From the appearance, it does look like an overgrowth of bacteria in the hair follicles or sweat glands. However, it is important to realize that this is not a problem that is due to inadequate hygiene. In this way, it is similar to facial acne, which is also due to an overgrowth of bacteria in sweat glands. Facial acne also is not due to inadequate facial cleaning. Although poor hygiene may made it worse, almost nobody can avoid acne or make facial acne disappear solely with good facial cleaning. Similarly, your problem will not resolve because of more intensive cleaning. The sweat glands on the face are different than the sweat glands on the thigh, and the bacteria are different, but the processes are similar.

Topical antibiotics may help when the areas are more inflamed, and when it gets more severe, it may require oral antibiotics. However, if it does not respond to certain antibiotics, it may help to consider an antibiotic in a different class, but to be able to discuss alternatives to what has been tried, it would be necessary to know which specific creams have been tried.

Since your treatments have been limited to antifungal and antibacterial creams, then there are some other suggestions that may be able to help. It would be reasonable to next try certain acne medicines. Benzoyl peroxide is the medicine that is usually tried first, and if both the gel and cream are both available, the gel is more potent and the preferred formulation. Retinoids also can be tried, such as Retin-A.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know. If you can give more details about the creams that have been tried, then I can comment further on that aspect of treatment.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.