Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have black spots on my penis. Slowly it has increased in

Customer Question

I have black spots on my penis. Slowly it has increased in years.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the black spots, either as a close-up or a high resolution image that will allow zooming in on the spots?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please reply.

Thank you for the pictures.

These brown spots are due to increased pigmentation in the skin, but there does not appear to be an underlying cause for the variation in pigmentation, so is likely a normal variant. Was there any rash or other changes that preceded the development of the brown spots?

I had asked whether there was any rash that preceded the brown spots and have not heard back.

Some men will get these areas of increased pigmentation spontaneously, and that would not be a concern. However, there are some men that will get increased pigmentation because of inflammation of the skin of the penis. In looking at these pictures, I do not see any evidence of inflammation, but if there had been a rash that preceded the development of the brown spots, then it may be the post-inflammatory increase in pigmentation. In this setting, if the inflammation recurs, it would be appropriate to treat the inflammation. But otherwise, there is generally no need for treatment.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.