Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My skin is red and blotchy most of the time, why is this?

Customer Question

I'm a 22 year old, male college athlete. The redness and blotchiness is significantly worsened during and after exercise. I'm naturally pretty fair-skinned, but I'm unsure if this redness and blotchiness is just because I'm light-skinned, or something more. I take a multi-vitamin and a few other vitamins and such, drink roughly 1-2 gallons of water a day, and exercise an average of 2-3 times a day, 6 days a week. I'm 6'2" and roughly 215 pounds, and right around 10-12% body fat. I typically get 7-9 hours of sleep a night. I've never had significant acne, so I'm unsure of what to do.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are many possible causes of red, blotchy skin, but the worsening that occurs during and after exercise is because of flushing of the skin, which will make any other cause of skin redness more pronounced.

As for the baseline redness, in an otherwise healthy young adult, it is more often a benign issue, such as excessive dryness of the skin or a chronic reaction to skin care products. It is also possible that the skin can be red because of systemic reactions to substances taken internally, but it would usually occur less often. There are some medical conditions that can affect redness of the skin, such as labile blood pressure and certain hormonal conditions, such as thyroid disease.

You are also correct that the fairness of your skin will make the redness more apparent, regardless of the cause of the redness.

Based on statistical probability, it would be reasonable for the next step to be interventions to help hydrate the skin, such as regular use of a skin moisturizer and the use of mild soaps without any scents to limit the dryness of the skin.

If you can attach a picture of the redness of the skin, then I may be able to make more comment.