Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have what appears to be pustules on my face and arms and

Customer Question

I have what appears to be pustules on my face and arms and neck. The first one appeared on my back. The new ones are on my face. The are red in color and look like acne sorta of they dry up and then a new one or two appear. They seem to be contagious cause my mom is broken out now as well. She is darker skin and I am very fair skinned. The pustules or papules are irregular in nature. There some big and small ones. The appear very rapidly. I started itching on my back two saturdays ago and now those are healed and the new ones are coming up daily.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area(s) be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i have no way to get it to you.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Okay I understand. Its hard to be sure without seeing the problem but your history of most suggestive of a condition called Folliculitis.

Folliculitis is a bacterial infection of the hair follicles (or skin pores) and is a harmless problem apart from the discomfort it causes. Folliculitis often occurs in conditions of heat or humidity or when a person hasn’t been able to maintain personal hygiene well (like traveling, camping) or when there is an underlying problem like Diabetes. That said it can occur for no reason at all. The lesions respond fastest to a 5 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day along with 2% Mupirocin cream twice a day for 7 days. Your doctor will be able to prescribe these for you. Also an oral anti-inflammatory like Advil 400 mg should be started once or twice a day depending on the severity of the pain or burning. You should be fine in 5-7 days once treatment is started.

You can also use an antibacterial soap like Dial for bathing for a few weeks to prevent a recurrence.

If you cannot see a doctor then try applying Bacitracin ointment twice a day on the bumps, bathe with Dial Antibacterial soap and take Tablet Advil 400 mg twice a day after meals. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription and might sort out the issue.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.