dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have had inflammation from my right side ankle to my knee

Customer Question

I have had inflammation from my right side ankle to my knee cap since February then I had lesions on my right side leg up to my right side are and now on my face and was admitted to hospital last month as staph infection occurred because the sores have taken months to heal and become infected, I was then admitted to hospital again on Monday as my face swelled up again and started turning into ulcerations on my lip and nose from the staph infection, I can't get into a dermatologist until February the 2nd and I want it gone asap my whole body is being damaged and scared. I started with pain in my neck and couldn't move in January 2015. I've had meningitis before in 2009, shingals last year in July 2014 and I'm only 24 years old
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have attached diagnosis's and photos
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 12 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Do you have history of Diabetes ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Dr. Pravin,Thank you so much for getting back to me.
I was tested for Diabetes in May via urine test and blood test and I results said I didn't have them.They tested me because I was so slow at healing with the skin ulcers and my back therapy for laser accupuncture.

THANK YOU very much for your reply.

Are these swellings very painful ?

Does anything ooze out from these ?

Have you done autoimmune disorder blood work up ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The swellings in my ankle and especially in my knee are very painful, i can't walk up stairs the pressure hurts and I can't bend my knee forward or kneel on it.
the sores have a bad smell (infection) and a lot of white pus or mucus ooze's out and dark blood from my leisons.I am booked into see a dermatologist on Feburary 1st 2016, that was the earliest appointment available for me to get into, so I'm just wanting to know some answers.I have looked up a lot of the auto immune diseases and that is what I'm thinking I will be told I have :(I'm just very worried because I have had this for 10 months now and only just started being helped, they originally put me on amoxicilian so I wasn't being treated correctly for a bacterial infection and that has allowed it to spread to my arm and now onto my face.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 11 months ago.

THANK YOU very much for all the information provided.

Yes , the sores look very much infected and seems like an autoimmune cause as you have them all over the body.

These infected growths do need a prolonged antibiotic and would also need a steroid to reduce the inflammation around them.

These growths are more like granulomas ( autoimmune ) ( autoimmune granulomatous condition.

The steroids will help in curbing the inflammation.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could you give me more information on granulomas automimmune and what I need to do?
How did I develop this? :(

Like all other animals in the animal kingdom, humans also possess an immune system. The main functions of the immune system are to defend the body from germs and other foreign invaders.

The immune system is composed of special cells and organs that deal with invaders and allergens. The cells create antibodies to fight off the infection or foreign intruders.

To defend the body the immunity must recognise what is self or what belongs to the body and what is non-self or foreign to the body.

Autoimmune disorders occur when the body fails to tell the difference between self and non-self. When this happens, the body makes antibodies that are directed towards the body’s own tissues. These are called auto-antibodies. The autoantibodies attack the normal cells by mistake.

Hence the autoantibodies in your case are attacking your cells and resulting in these nodules and bumps over your body and also getting secondarily infected .

Prolonged intake of antibiotic and other immunosuppressives are the key to the management of your condition.

Genetics may play a role in causation of autoimmune disorders but several environmental factors may also be important in causing autoimmune disorders. These include exposure to solvents, chemicals, viral and bacterial infections, sunlight, , bacteria and others.

Do let me know if you any other further queries.

I would be happy to help you .

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?