dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

My 4 1/2 yr old son has a 2mm x 1mm dark uniform in color

Customer Question

My 4 1/2 yr old son has a 2mm x 1mm dark brown uniform in color flat mole on the index finger pad (Palmar side). Showed up 6 - 8 weeks ago. Thought it was a blood blister at first from a pinch or something but now know it's a mole as I looked at it with magnifying glass. I am a PA so am familiar with moles and risk on Palmar/plantar surfaces. He is Native American descent. do I need to be concerned at this age?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 12 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/ertaters/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151209_194916_zps0kib5zgn.jpg.html

Thank you very much for your reply .
I have seen the photos and the patch as you have described it seems to be a very flat benign black patch. The transition to an acral lentiginous melanoma or any sort of melanoma is negligible at this age.

Like any other mole , it has to be observed for change in the thickness , shape , size , symptoms , ulceration.

You can get a baseline non invasive dermoscopy done at the Dermatologists clinic which is a non invasive office test which magnifies the lesion for inner contents for the treating Dermatologists. The instrument they use is a dermatoscope which is like a telescope to check things really closer.

I don't think you should worry at this stage.

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?