dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Yeast infection won't go away

Customer Question

yeast infection won't go away
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor Pravin,
I'm having Internet issues and cannot seem to upload photosI had two cases of folliculitis in groin area with red spots on the penis. First time an internist checked it out and gave me Mucip.... balm. Next was a dermat on-line, gave me same diagnosis and suggested Keflex.Took Keflex, doubled-up on some doses to speed things up, and perhaps wasn't complete in my (self-) administration.
Days later got the first fungal infection (as diagnosed by same dermatologist).Now this thing won't go away. Have tried all the -azole creams out there, fluconazole and Grus... (?)Yesterday it spread to the head of my penis, perhaps by masturbation; however I wash hands thoroughly after applying any creams or bleach to areas. I am trying to upload the photos.The two photos are the original elbow crease infection, which after 3 weeks is better but seems like source of spreading it to other parts of my body. Spot on back of neck. Another original spot near belly button looks like the yellow inside patch is actually coming back. Now looks like folliculitis is coming back in groin area.I need some thorough diagnosis please and suggestions for dosages of any medications, how long to take, etc.I will get back to you with the other photos.Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

This does not look like a fungal infection .

It looks like a case of Atopic dermatitis with eczematous patches behind the knee , and inflammatory spots on the neck , infection of hair follicles in the groin which is common in this condition.

The treatment of choice for this condition would be using a non steroidal cream called Pimecrolimus cream which has to be applied twice a day for atleast 3 months .

The other intake would be of the similar antibiotic course you had taken earlier Keflex in the same doses but for a period of 10 days.

You would also need to apply liberal amounts of cetaphil restoraderm lotion available over the counter to heal the area.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Do you want me to release the rating service application on your page ?

You can give me a rating for the opinion provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response.It's in between the forearm creases, and not back of knee , just FYI. Beyond the folliculitus that comes back seemingly because of exercise, these marks DO seem to start out as fungal or something other than dermatitis ?? You can see the tiny red bump in one of the attached pics, which is a new one. The other ones have faded into red/bright red sort of scars, 3 weeks after the dermat diagnosed it as yeast.The genital photo you will notice the redness and then some sort of ulceration in middle that on the arms, was white or yellowish.Do the spots below my belly button/ inner thigh look like folliculitis of same as other sores?Is this a reaction for having over-dosed Keflex? It keep popping up, and on the genitals for me is really getting out of hand here.I have had similar reaction on the buttocks, cocyx area, I'm thinking because of the workouts in un-airconditioned gyms here in Guinea, also tennis. I sweat a LOT. However, my place of residence is hot/humid as well, just more airconditioned spaces, and I never have gotten these breakout. Tiny red bumps as heat rash maybe, but never folliculitisThanks
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Do the spots near the elbow crease ooze any watery liquid ?

These lesions look wet .

I would like to state that the lesions near your belly button / inner thigh do not look like folliculitis.

These look like some patches that are spreading on the body specially the abdomen , elbow crease and thighs , genital area : all areas having one thing in common: Sweat

Humidity adds to the problem.

This condition definitely looks like eczematization which is a universal spread on your body.

This is not a simple dermatitis but a systemic dermatitis ( Atopic Dermatitis ) Psoriasiform dermatitis.

This is not caused by the antibiotic for sure.

Yes , the tiny bumps that arise within these spots can be miliaria rubra ( heat rash related )

Use of Calamine lotion along with the Pimecrolimus cream will definitely help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor,OK thanks for this information. What about the spot on my genitals, which is a red patch with some sort of ulceration in the middle? I have attached daylight photo so that you can see the sores within the red patch. This is the same configuration as it appeared on forearm/elbow. i.e. it starts out red, there is some sort of patch in middle which other doctor claimed to be fungus, then heals slowly and leaves these bright red marks.How could that appear on genitals just overnight, and not in other parts of my body or other areas of genitals?The belly button, what you see, is actually 'healed' from 4 weeks ago, but the bright red mark and thick skin remains, same as forearm-- there is no oozing from forearm -- what you notice is probably from cortisone cream or just the general shiny appearance (although forearm is now super-itchy and just won't go away after 3+ weeks. The inner whitish/yellowis lesion is gone and it has turned to this exzema -- before it was not so scaly/shiny as it appears today.)-- in the photo I attached of forearm, you can see a tiny little red spot to upper left of large lesion that was first a cut or break in skin, which appeared first. Then the giant reaction next to it appeared 24-48 hrs later. Also, it spread from one forearm to other whilst sleeping on my side, since my arms were crossed all night.--There is another red sore from 3 weeks ago on back of neck and on skin fold on outer armpit, since I am a side sleeper. (last two photos attached)-- The folliculitis would be a separate condition?I almost want to say that all of the fluconazole tabs and creams I put on didn't seem to help, or at least they rub off on clothes or on sheets at night. Maybe they did, or maybe it was the cortisone cream that actually was helping....Please help, esp. with the genital sore, it is extremely sensitive. DO I start on Keflex? is there another that might be better tolerated, meaning that I could take 1x daily at night? cipro or once-a-day augmentin?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what the belly button lesion looked like when first appeared on 12Nov, and which was diagnosed as fungal.First was folliculitis, then Keflex, then the belly button rash, then arm rash. I only stayed on Keflex maybe 3-4 days, as folliculitis resolved quickly
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photo sent.
The area on the glans penis where the "ulcer" can be seen looks like an eczematous patch Acute eczema with erosion can appear over night.

There could be a component of secondary infection in terms of the folliculitis mentioned.

You can take once a day course of Azithromycin 500 once daily for 6 days. You would get this as a prescription medication.