Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have small bumps on my penile shaft

Customer Question

I have small bumps on my penile shaft
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a few wit clear fluids but they popped
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photographs. How long have you had these bumps? Did they start within 1-2 weeks of unprotected sex with a new partner?

Have you ever had bumps like this before on the penis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had them before an I went to the emergency got tested everything came back negative they went away that's was a few months ago an they just appeared again today yesterday there was nothing there
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. To me these lesions are most suggestive of Recurrent Herpes Genitalis (RHPG) unless proven otherwise by negative serology (blood testing). RHPG often has absolutely no other symptom apart from the sores. I would recommend getting the following blood tests - HSV 1 IgG and IgM, HSV2 IgG and IgM. Only if all of these are negative is Herpes ruled out. A smear from the active sores is even more reliable for Herpes testing. Tests done when the first episode happens are not always reliable and may be negative even in the presence of infection.

in RHPG, with the passing of time the frequency of recurrences becomes lesser and lesser - however since herpes is a life long infection outbreaks can occur even may years later sometimes. Unfortunately no treatment eradicates it from the body.

For patients who get more than 6 episodes per year starting suppressive therapy with Acyclovir 400 mg twice a day for one year is worthwhile to improve the quality of life and prevent transmission to a partner. It stops the episodes completely while being used and is safe for prolonged use over many years.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.