dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I want to know what is the likely chance of a girl

Customer Question

I want to know what is the likely chance of a girl contracting hsv1 genitally after 5 seconds of contact via oral sex when a very small herpetic lesion(had been present for 24hrs) was present, even though that lesion did not directly touch genitalia, and assuming she did not have prior hsv1 exposure. Also I would like to know the likely chance that she will demonstrate symptoms of primary infection if she did contract this.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

What is the age of the person ?

Does the person have any other predisposing disease like Diabetes ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 25 and no other medical conditions.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your reply.

There is a 50 % to 80 % chance that she may get HSV 1 , as even a small herpetic lesion has thousands of virions that can be spread through the droplets ,scabs .

Primary symptoms of blisters in a healthy individual would be presence of blisters in 30 to 40 % of the cases on direct contact and less than 5 % on indirect contact ( if the herpes blister did not touch the area directly )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this person has now developed an intraoral lesion (near tonsils) and systemic symptoms of fever and myalgia but so far has shown no signs of lip lesions or vaginal lesions (5 days post original contact) what are the chances that she will now go on to develop 1) lip lesions and 2) genital lesions during this episode?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Now chances are negligible as incubation period is around 5 days .