dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a rash with redness on several areas of my torso. The

Customer Question

I have a rash with redness on several areas of my torso. The 3 main areas are:
1)chest/thorax region (started first almost 2 weeks ago)
2) stomach area, below belly button
3) right lateral side of upper body/between the anterior and posterior axillary lines
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I arrived in a warm, humid country (Singapore) about 7 days ago. The red rash started on chest before I came to Singapore, perhaps it was a reaction to some wine I drank. After i arrived in Singapore, the rash developed on the other parts.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like some more information :

Do you have history of Diabetes?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a history of diabetes mellitus. It's maybe a few years ago that I last did a fasting blood glucose test, but I'm only 27 at the moment.I do notice that I have to urinate quite frequently, sometimes more than once per hour. I heard that there's a different form of diabetes called diabetes insipidus. I haven't done any diagnostic tests for this though.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

What treatment have you taken for this ?

This does look like a an Allergic Dermatitis to some wine , drug or something that you are not used to .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I applied some Physiogel moisturizer as I have history of eczema and wanted to protect the skin barrier.Today, I just started to put some Dettol antiseptic menthol Talc powder (has Chloroxylenol 0.3% w/w, Zinc oxide, menthol). I was worried if there's some fungal or bacterial infection that's causing further flare-ups (again due to my proneness to getting eczema).I haven't used any steroid creams.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

YES , this definitely does look like a feature of Atopic Dermatitis .

Do not put Dettol on the area as this will increase the eczema.

You would need to take oral anti histamine like Claritine which is available over the counter once at night for 10 days .

Use Cetaphil Restoraderm Body wash to cleanse the area.

Continue with Physiogel as a moisturiser on the area .

Use Cortaid lotion on the area ( Hydrocortisone ) on the more rough itchy areas

You may need an oral Antibiotic called Azithromycin once daily 3 to 6 days.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Avoid Dettole and Talc on the area .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for the information so far. I will try Cetaphil Restoraderm Body Wash and oral anti histamine.Could you explain why the Dettol Talc powder will increase eczema?I was using it for the antiseptic properties as I read that Staphylococcal colonisation of the skin that could potentially cause outbreaks of eczema.What would you recommend to combat any potential skin colonisation (Bacterial/fungal)? Is the oral antibiotic helpful for skin bacteria or a topical cream is better?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Dettol and Talc can irritate the area as they have irritant properties.

Talc can be abrasive on the area and will increase eczema due to this property.

To reduce the colonisation you can use Bleach baths or even use of antibiotic ointment. Cream is better for skin bacteria.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

I awaiting a response from you .

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for letting me know about Talc being abrasive. (Btw, I was using a Tacl that is Dettol brand which contains the antiseptic, not the Dettol soap.)I agree that this time the dermatitis seems likely to be from the wine.I'll try the bleach bath, hopefully it will reduce future outbreaks of eczema.Which particularly antibiotic ointment or cream do you suggest?
How about for skin fungal would you also recommend topical anti fungal like ketoconazole?Thank you for answering so many questions. Just that I keep getting outbreaks of eczema and I can't identify the cause so I want to take as many preventative measures as possible. I understand moisturizing the skin is one of the most important prevention steps.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest Bactroban or T Bact ( Mupirocin ointment / cream )

No , there is no need for an antifungal in this scenario.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, mupirocin. Thanks.With regards ***** ***** bleach bath, is it same as going to the swimming pool?
Or should a different concentration be used?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

NO , it is not same as going to the swimming pool .

Bleach bath is as follows :

1. Use regular strength – 6 percent – bleach for the bath. Do not use concentrated bleach.
  2. Use a measuring cup or measuring spoon to add the bleach to the bath. Adding too much bleach to the bath can irritate your skin. Adding too little bleach may not help.
  3. Measure the amount of bleach before adding it to the bath water. For a full bathtub of water, use a half cup of bleach. For a half-full tub of water, add a quarter cup of bleach. For a baby or toddler bathtub, add one teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water.
  4. Never apply bleach directly to your eczema. While the tub is filling, pour the bleach into the water. Be sure to wait until the bath is fully drawn and bleach is poured before you enter the tub.
  5. Most dermatologists recommend a five- to 10-minute soak.
  6. Pat your skin dry after the bath. You steroid cream immediately after the bleach bath .