dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a 20 year old son who has been having trouble with

Customer Question

I have a 20 year old son who has been having trouble with acne the last 4 years or so. It was looking pretty clear up until this last summer he has been on a antibiotic and a cream. He was in the heat alot and is a farmer so the dirt and sweat didn't help plus he was sun burning inspots on his nose even with sunscreen so he stopped using the cream for a couple months but has been back usuing the cream full time for 2/months but he isn't clearing up. His face is more on the dry side but breaks out in the cheek and jaw area. I never appears oily even without using creams. The acnr that is clearing stays really bright red. Do you have any ideas on how to stop the breakouts and is the redness in the healing areas just gonna take time to go away. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help tone the redness down. How do you feel about the levulon treatment cimbinded with the blue u?/is this something you recommend? Doxycycline 100mg twice a day and onexton is what he is currently using
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you go.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Has he taken Roaccutane in the past ( Isotretinoin ) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No never
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Would he be ok to start Isotretinoin to stop the Acne at the root level ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm really afraid of accutane
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

If you do not intend to start him on Accutane , the other options you have mentioned i.e the blue light and the levulon would be helpful but will help temporarily This is a good treatment option to reduce the redness and the acne as well .

He should stop Doxycyline when on the Levulon therapy as it can increase the skin sensitivity

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you feel about the safety of accutane? How long do you stop the doxy beforel evulon And do you considerer him a severe case
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

He is not a severe case. It is moderate and will respond very well to Accutane .

It is safe when given in dose manner and reviewed by the dermatologist once in 2 months.

You should stop Doxy atleast one month before starting Levulon.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you feel that blood work is in order? My daughter had high testostrone and acne but I havent had my son checked for that. I assumed since he is a man he wouldn't have a problem with that. Also how many levulon treatments and how far apart do you suggest?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes 2-3 treatments at 2 to 3 week intervals to obtain optimal results. Particularly severe cases may require 5 sessions for the most complete control.

Blood work is fine . Not necessary in his case.