dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a scalp inflammation which I believe caused Sodium

Customer Question

I have a scalp inflammation which I believe caused Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) because I was washing hair under panic attack and stressfully rubing it in (shampoo). That happened only once and then my hair after it got dry was terrible, itching, pulsating
in scalp, redness in scalp, thinner hair on some areas and after that oily scalp and dandruff. I think Ketoconazole would help but there is no shampoo without SLS that has Ketoconazole. Since I switched from SLS shampoos to SLS-free shampoo like J.R. Liggett's
bar shampoo detergent free my hair got better (no oily hair and no dandruff) But still in some areas hair is thinner like behind my ear or at the top left of scalp. And redness also is there. Overrall hair quality is a little diminished. Is there a way of
maybe using Ketoconazole cream and mixing it in my SLS-free shampoo or is there any other solution that you could recommend. Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should apply over-the-counter ketoconazole cream or 1% hydrocortisone cream to the area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which is better if there is some kind of comparison? What strength of ketoconazole cream?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Use 1% hydrocortisone cream first. If it doesn't work, use 2% ketoconazole cream.