Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I have a skin problem on my face, which gets particularly

Customer Question

I have a skin problem on my face, which gets particularly bad after I wear my motorcycle helmet in the hot weather. I'm trying to find out if there is something I can do to help it... as everything I've tried so far does not work. As the week continues the skin on my face just gets more and more red and sensitive... so its becoming a real problem.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also worth noting:
- I am a red head, so my skin has always been sensitive however never like this before.
- I live in SE Asia, so the climate is very hot and humid.
- I ride a motorcycle to my office every day in the heat, wearing a full face crash helmet.
- The skin on my face almost feels hot / burning after a few days and it does not get any better as the week continues.
- I don't appear to have any rosacea symptoms, apart from redness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motorcycle helmet is new, so I don't think that is the problem, although it is pretty tight fitting as its a good quality model that was expensive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can upload a picture if it helps, so let me know.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi--the photo would help Will

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Funny thing is that it doesn't look that bad in the photo, which is my cheek. However its very much a real problem I can assure you. I seem to be incredible sensitive to hot weather and although I've lived in a hot climate for 10 years, I still have not acclimatized fully it seems.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Will

Does this come and then go away completely?

And what have you tried for it so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am always some degree of red color which I've come to accept and that's fine.
- However this problem has really started since I've been riding a motorcycle in the heat.
- Seems like being in the helmet in hot weather is really aggravating my skin and I don't know why.
- So if I don't ride the motorcycle for a week it does improve, however is not gone completely.
- Also my face always feels hot, and I've always got a flush and white line around my hairline.- I've tried to:
: Stop washing my face with any soap, apart from a natural cleanser.
: Clean my face gently with water after riding on the bike and apply moisturizer (which seems to help a bit).
: Be very careful when putting on my helmet so no to scratch or irritate my skin.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

OK

This looks like a case of what's called heat urticaria--sort of a kind of skin allergy to heat and humidity

I'd suggest daily Zyrtec or Claritin by mouth and for the skin itself, Caladryl lotion or the equivalent

That should clear it up Will

Let me know if you need any more information please