dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

My wife developed a dash of red small patches all o er her

Customer Question

My wife developed a dash of red small patches all o er her back. Looks like poison ivy but she hasnt been eXposed. Can i send you a pic to get a better idea of what this is? Shes had it one week already.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its also on her breast and stomach. Nothing below the waist or on the face and arms.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It could be Pityriasis rosea. It is an acute, self-limited, skin disease most likely to be due to a viral etiology. The rash may persist for two to three months. It resolves within this time. New lesions may occur during this period but should disappear spontaneously. If she has mild itching, medium-potency topical corticosteroids can be used. Oral acyclovir may be useful for shortening the course of pityriasis rosea. Phototherapy is an additional treatment option. She should see her doctor. When the diagnosis is in question, a skin biopsy can be performed.