dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Yesterday I discovered a lump on my right groin in the top

Customer Question

Hi, yesterday I discovered a lump on my right groin in the top right of my pubic area. It is hard, pea-sized (maybe a bit bigger), and has been quite sore/tender since pressing on it. It isn't visible, it's under the skin and there is no coloration.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It seems to be a lymph node. Since it is tender, it is due to infection if it can be moved easily with fingers. Take over-the-counter medication. If the pain is not be gone within a week, the pain is getting worse with the pain medication, or you develop fever, you should see your doctor to have a urine test, a test for discharge from the urethra if necessary, and ultrasound if necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't move when I roll my fingers over it.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Usually infected lump nodes can be moved easily. Since it can't be moved, you should see your doctor to have an exam and a biopsy of it. It could be a lymphoma. But usually it is not tender or painful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get an appointment until December. Should I go to A&E?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should wait for a week with pain medication. If there is not any improvement, you should go to A&E. Otherwise you should see your doctor in December.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you. What is the best medication to take?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Tylenol, ibuprofen, naprexen and so forth.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention I started getting a rash on my lower right thigh the same day I discovered the lump on my right groin. Felt like an itchy heat rash at first so I assumed they were unrelated. But over that first 24 hour period the rash grew to the point where I have two fairly big red rash marks and the area below them is fairly swollen, tender and sore. In fact, the front side of most of my right thigh feels tender and quite sore up to the groin area. I've also noticed the skin above the lump has gone a very faint pink colour, the skin just below also.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It could be shingles if they become blisters. Soon after they becomes them, you should see a doctor to have anti-viral medications. If they are shingles, the swollen lymph node is due to them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, should I continue with the pain killers?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you should continue to use it for the pain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor. I went to a walk in centre regarding my groin lump/rash on thigh problem. The doctor said it is an infection caused by some kind of bite. He prescribed me Flucloxacillin (500mg capsules) but I think I'm suffering side effects from them - my stomach area feels tight and I've had a touch of diarrhoea (not severe and no blood). Both these symptoms have eased up but I was wondering if I should be concerned or do I just continue to take them? I've been prescribed a weeks worth and I'm currently on day 5.Also, my swollen lymph node hasn't gone down since taking these antibiotics and the tenderness/soreness is still there a bit. Is that normal, and how long does it take for the swelling to usually go down?Thanks
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

They seem to the side effects. You don't need to worry about it. You should continue to take it and finish it. If the soreness/tenderness and the swollen node is not improved 1 or 2 weeks after you finish the antibiotics, you should see the doctor again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor. The swollen lymph node appears to be shrinking but over the last 24 hours or so the right side of my pelvic area has become quite sore and tender. Same side as the swollen lymph node. Do I need to be worried?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Exactly where is the pelvic area? Any skin change? Did you have any surgeries? Any medical problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the right side of my pelvis, and then ends centrally (in my pubic region). The left side is fine. The soreness/tenderness is mild, only gets slightly worse when I've been pressing on it. There's no skin change. No surgeries or medical problems, but as I said earlier I did suffer mild side effects from the antibiotics I took to treat the thigh infection about 2 and a half weeks ago (tight stomach and a bit of diarreah which passed after a few days).
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible that the pain comes from appendicitis? Did your doctor check the possibility? Because antibiotics make it better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the doctor didn't check for appendicitis. To the best of my knowledge, this has only occurred over the last couple of days.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should see your doctor to have the pain checked to see if it is appendicitis or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right away? Do I need to go to A&E?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should go to A&E because it will be a weekend in the UK.