dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have recently been diagnosed with genital lichen

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed with genital lichen sclerosus. I have been using Clobetasol and Estrace for about 6 weeks and don't see a lot of improvement, and sometimes wonder if the steroid cream is irritating it more. Yesterday, I noticed that the area above my vagina and pubic bone seems enlarged and puffy.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Have you used Tacrolimus ointment ( 0.1 % ) ?That would be the medication for you .

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am awaiting your response.
I would be happy to assist you .

Regards

Dr Pravin

Please do get back to me so I can help you . Thanks .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have only used the Clobetasol and the Estrace. I just feel like this condition is not improving and my gynecologist has made an appointment for a 3 month check-up but that will not be until January.
Is Tacrolimus only be prescription?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes , tacrolimus ointment is a prescription non steroidal ointment that tends to work well for lichen sclerosus.

Has a biopsy been done to prove this condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try to call several times today, so finally called my gynecologist. We will try the ointment and if I am not improved in a week, I will go into see her and do a biopsy then.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes a Biopsy would be required so the treatments are not going on blindly.

Doing the skin biopsy would give a direction to the treatment.

many other options of treatments like Narrow Band UVB and others can be started once the condition is biopsy proven.
Do you Agree with what I have mentioned?

Do you want me to release the rating service application on your page so you can be given me a feedback for my opinion provided