Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I get a red spotty rash on my legs after i drink alcohol. It

Customer Question

Hello. I get a red spotty rash on my legs after i drink alcohol. It does not itch. What could it be. I have pictures if needed.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Please send the picture, they will be very helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here they are.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

How long before the rash subsides?

Any previously diagnosed medical conditions?

How often do you get this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Takes about a week to clear up. No previous medical conditions. I never had problems drinking alcohol but earlier this year it started happening after I drank. Sometimes not as bad as others. This weekend was the worst its been in a while.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

There is an allergic rash associated with alcohol that usually occurs on the face and/or causes facial blushing. And that presents with macular rash with itching. The rash seen in the pictures is more like a vasculitic rash and needs to be more thoroughly evaluated.

I would suggest that you refrain from alcohol for now and have this examined at the earliest by a Dermatologist or an internist. A biopsy may be required from one of the lesions to evaluate the etiology properly. Vasculitis is an autoimmune disease of the vessels in this case the small vessels. The best course of action will be to have this evaluated while it is present for examination.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive had a biopsy performed by a dermatologist and the results didnt really reveal anything. Earlier this year I did do a gallbladder flush I read about online. Ane since then when I drink this rash happens. Could that have caused it?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the query.
Not likely, gall bladder flush is not related.

Another biopsy, of two or more lesions might be more beneficial.

A punch biopsy or an excision biopsy will be required and sent for histopathology.

Best.