dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have reddish ,splotchy, itchy spots that appear on my

Customer Question

I have reddish ,splotchy, itchy spots that appear on my scalp ,and I think I may have contracted something from a Train car seat .about 1 year ago I took a train to Chicago and laid my head on a head rest about 30 to 45 days later my head started itching in about the area that had been resting on the head rest , I went to the doctor and they told me that it was probably dermatitis but eventually my hair has started thinning out I did have a full head of hair thick but not any longer it is getting thinner, is their any way to tell what this might be. hope to hear from you before I am bald my question is it possible that some type of fungus or worm or something that would make this happen and if so what can I do to correct it. Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Do you have a photo of the red spots?

Do you have history of Diabetes?

Do you have thick scales?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any photos of my head however if it necessary I will have my wife take some and text by phone to you? I will need a phone number if not I can explain them better they seem to stay to the back of my head ,they range in size about 1/4" to 1/2" in diameter and have a red appearance. they burns when I put the medicine on them, I find myself scratching and find fragments of skin under my nails they are raised a little
I do not have Diabetes and it was never in our family I would not consider my scalp thick.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information provided.

I am sorry I do not have number that you can send photos to.

I will try and help you without the photo images.

From your history and description , it looks like you may have pediculosis of the scalp area that you may have contracted from the train where you may have picked up on nits.

I would suggest that you should apply Permethrin 1 % shampoo and Permethrin 1 % lotion on the scalp over night . Wash off the next day .

Continue with the Betamethasone lotion application on the areas affected as it helps to reduce the hypersensitivity to the nit or louse

The ketoconazole did not work as it is an anti fungal agent .

The application of Permethrin will help solve your problem/ This is a very common problem seen amongst individuals traveling .

This would help you correct your issue.

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned?

DO you have any further queries.

Please do feel free to ask me any further queries.

Do you want me to release the rating service application on your page?

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am awaiting your response.
I would be happy to assist you .

Regards

Dr Pravin

Please do get back to me so I can help you . Thanks .