dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

My son is 22 years old. He has had chronic acne since he

Customer Question

My son is 22 years old. He has had chronic acne since he started college 4 years ago. Now he is out of college and living on his own with a pretty demanding job (Civil Engineer). He's not very outgoing and I believe it's because of his acne. He works out
intensely 3 times a week and he has good eating habits. He uses coconut oil for everything; from cooking with it to adding it to his hair regime occasionally. He is very tired of having this acne. He's tried all sorts of washes and topical cremes from dermatologists
in the past. He also too minocycline (type of antibiotic), but he quit using it because he said he doesn't want to be taking an antibiotic everyday if he's not sick. He also said after a week of taking the minocycline, he feels funny. Frustrated to all end
with his acne, he visited another dermatologist and she suggested Accutane. I've heard many negative stories of these med, and When I read up on it, it seems like they really don't know how it works entirely, but it just works. I don't feel they have enough
information on long term effects of this powerful med, therefor I don't feel it's safe for my son to take. Is there anything else out there e.g.., proven washes that really work, some type of shot one a month, or another type of med not so powerful (takes
a bit longer to get rid of it)? He's ready to take anything to get rid of his acne once and for all. I asked him to let me please look a little deeper into this matter, before he makes a definite decision. Please advise. My poor son is so talented, (he's also
an accomplished musician) but also shows so much insecurity because of his acne. Thank you.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello....is anyone out there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone going to answer my dermatology question?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Have he used topical retinoid (Avita, Retin-A, Differin, Tazorac, Avage), topical antibiotics (Benzaclin, Duac, Acanya, Benzamycin), or topical dapsone (Aczone)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's tried Tazorac, Avita and I'm not sure about the others . The Aczone topical antibiotic is one that I've heard of, that I know he hasn't tried. Out of all the topicals you've mentioned above, which do you feel works the best? What's Dapsone? Which is the one that you get the fastest and best results? How do you feel about Acutane?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Dapsone is known to have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Dapson is most effective when combined with a topical retinoid. Acutane is very effective. The most serious potential side effects include ulcerative colitis, an increased risk of depression and suicide. He will need to be closely monitored during being treated with this drug.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. With your past experience, which topical retinoid do you recommend with the Dapsone? Would these be two topicals used together and at the same time?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I recommend them together. He can use them at the same time.