Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a rash on top of both feet. It has cycles. 1st it's

Customer Question

I have a rash on top of both feet. It has cycles. 1st it's just a small discoloration and no itching or pain. 2nd stage it is blood red but no itching or pain. 3rd stage the skin starts flaking off and it itches immensely but no pain. Then it repeats. It started as one little spot about 2 weeks ago and over the course of 24 hours it spread to the entire top of my feet.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the rash?

How quickly does it take for all of the stages to occur and re-start the cycle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It takes about 4-5 days to complete a cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the 3rd cycle where it's flaking and itching.

Thank you for the picture.

This is a severe inflammation of the skin. When the inflammation is this severe, it is usually better to be seen by your doctor. You can try to ease the inflammation with an antihistamine, such as in the allergy medicine, along with a topical hydrocortisone cream, which is the best that can be done over the counter, but this is frequently not effective and it will be necessary to see your doctor.

Soaking the foot in warm water to which salt has been added (table salt or Epsom salt) may help to soften and remove the flaking skin. Many people find that soaking in bleach is more irritating than helpful.