Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I want to know about jock itch. How you get it,what it looks

Customer Question

I want to know about jock itch. How you get it,what it looks like and how you get rid of it.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

jock itch is caused by a fungus growth in dark warm moist environments, like in your groin area and butt fold area.

we have fungus all over us on our skin and in our bathrooms

fungus like to grow in dark, warm, moist areas.

if you sweat a lot in your private areas, this is a common set up for fungus to grow in the skin and cause itching.

best way to fight jock itch is to keep the groin area dry with baby powder and with antifungal creams and powders to kill the fungus from the skin.

there are over the counter anti-fungal creams like clotrimazole 1% and powders and sprays like Lotrimin and Tinactin which can be used for 4-6 weeks to clear up fungal jock itch.

make sure you use the cream or spray for 1 week after the rash has gone away to make sure the fungal infection is completely killed

if your symptoms of itching persists, you have to see a doctor for evaluation and possibly stronger prescription treatment

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com