Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

I have a post inflammatory hyperpigmentation spot on the

Customer Question

Hi - I have a post inflammatory hyperpigmentation spot on the bridge of my nose that has been there since the acne went away 4 weeks ago. I have been using loreal youth code dark spot corrector to do some small spot treatment and these pads from my dermatologist
that contain kojic acid. My concern is that the spot has kind of plateaued in terms of lightening in the past week and also that it is hard to lighten just that spot because feels like either the liquid from pads or loreal cream that I use spreads to rest
of my nos and is causing the area around the spot to lighten just a bit. I'm afraid to use products with hydroquinone because I have read so much about getting a ring around the area you are trying to lighten and cancer fears. So my questions are is there
something else I can use/procedure I can do to accelerate the lightening and how do I spot treat most effectively without lightening the whole area? My dermatologist didn't think lasers or resurfacing would make sense but I'm looking for some guidance on alternative
approaches and how long they would take.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like an answer from a dermatologist please. Can you assign to someone else? Thanks

Sure. I will opt out and this will open your question to all experts, including dermatologists.

Enjoy the pretty Fall weekend :)

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am a double board certified US doctor.

My certifications require that we train and test in dermatology, and in my case, advanced, forefront methods as well.

This is not self help at this point....

I do have a suggestion, but what has your dermatologist told you in relation to this problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but I would like an answer specifically from a dermatologist. If none are available I will need a refund.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Would you like me to answer your query?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Pravin - yes would like you to answer my question.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the confirmation .

The best approach for you would be the Q switch NDYag Laser that you can get done at the Dermatologists clinic.

This would need 6 treatments done at the gap of around 10 days in between the sessions. It works reasonably well for such post inflammatory hyperpigmented spots.

The use of Vitamin C serum on the area would be a safe option and no fear of side effects . This should be applied twice a day for 3 weeks.

You should use a good sunscreen in the mornings daily.

Avoid any chemical peels on the area as that would make the area more sensitive.

Do not use Hydroquinone based nor Steroid based creams on the area as those would have side effects.

The Q switch treatment is the best bet for you.

Do you have any Vitamin C serum with you presently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks - don't have any vitamin c serum. Would you recommend either doing that OR the qlaser? I don't know if the scabbing and other stuff that comes with Qlaser would work for me with my work schedule. Why wouldn't you recommend hydroquinone and what do you think of over the counter lightening product like meladerm and loreal dark spot corrector etc..?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

The best case scenario would be to do both , Use Vitamin C serum in between the laser sessions.

The scabbing does not happen in the Q switch laser treatments.

I wouldn't recommend Hydroquinone as the area involved is the nose and hence can increase the sensitivity of the nose.

The Vitamin C serum from Neutrogena or Clinique would be much better options than the dark spot corrector that you have mentioned available otc.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned?

Would you like me to release the rating service application on your page?

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

I am awaiting a response from you .

Regards

Dr Pravin