DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

In May of this year I started to have a horrible itching

Customer Question

In May of this year I started to have a horrible itching down in my groin area between my legs. It was deep in my skin and was worse at night. I then started to notice small bumps in my groin area that were very itchy. They popped up all over my body, tiny but super itchy, still itching in groin area. Then I developed pea size bumps on top of my pubic bone area and a few on my inner thighs. They itched horribly and body still had tiny small itchy bumps, my dermatologist took biopsy and it came back as just dermatitis. Then my husband developed same symptoms, itchy bumps all over his body and a few larger ones on pubic bone area and in scrotum area. We tried creams for scabies even though biopsy came back as dermatitis, didn't work, steroid creams, didnt work, antibiotic for folliculitis, did not work, husband still having issues also. Gave me a steroid shot to try and suppress possible reaction, didn't work, showered in different shower didn't work, now sleeping in a different bedroom alone to see if I improve, no change yet. We have checked for bed bugs they said they found none. Still getting tiny bitchy bumps, still getting a few larger ones in groin area, some stay under skin but you can feel them. Any ideas?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I am online and will be happy to answer your questions.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Thank you for your patience.

did you test for fungal infection by koh prep?

can you attach a picture of rash?

did you try antifungal creams like clotrimazole?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they did not do that test. They told me that if it was a fungus than the steroid creams would have made it worse. No fungal creams tried. I can send a pic of what was on my arms and legs when it first started but it has not returned in that way once it cleared. Now it's just small bumps and the larger bumps in groin area.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

this looks like atopic dermatitis also confirmed with biopsy.

management is as follows.

Topical corticosteroids can be applied once or twice daily for two to four weeks.

for mild disease , low potency steroids like hydrocortisone are used.

For patients with moderate disease, we suggest medium to high potency

corticosteroids (eg,flucinolone, triamcinolone, betamethasone)

topical calcineurin inhibitor like tacrlimus can be used to treat if steroids do not help.

Patients with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis that is not controlled with optimal topical therapy may require phototherapy or systemic immunosuppressant treatment to achieve adequate disease control. they should be used when other management options have failed and the disease has a significant impact on the quality of life.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

Keep skin well hydrated with topical emollients .

avoid cold

try changing detergent ( may be causing contact dermatitis)

avoid pollen

and see if you are allergic to animal dander

if you smoke , avoid smoking.

discuss all above treatment options with your dermatologist.

I am here to help you and I wish you best health,

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have tried all that you suggested with no clear up of the problem. I was hoping you might have a different thought of what to do. Bumps go away but return soon after.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

alright, i will opt out so some other doctor may be able to help you.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This does not appear severe

Not even moderate.

Such dermatitis can be influenced by diet.

Can you tell me your diet.

Typical day: what you eat meal to meal?

Please bee specific, including drinks.

I am a double board certified doctor, in internal medicine AND integrative medicine....so, board certified in alternatives.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to preface: my spouse also has been having same symptoms like I got it and then a few months later he started getting to small itchy bumps on skin with larger bumps in groin area size of a pea. I eat different things eggs sandwich on wheat bread usually for breakfast, lunch different stuff but usually leftover dinner or Thai food, dinner is usually a protein with veggies.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

OK

The diet should be anti inflammatory.... not what you are eating.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

If your spouse has exactly the same thing, a toxic reaction or infestation has to be considered, and you both should show the same dermatologist, and the lesions should be biopsied and sent to the lab.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.