Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My right thumb nail hurts and when I press on it pus come's

Customer Question

My right thumb nail hurts and when I press on it white pus come's out also my other nails
are hard to trim also three of my toe nails are very bad
My thumb nail has been a problem for over a year, the nail looks very bad
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

You have mostly been on the right track, but these problems are not well treated with over the counter products.

If you are getting pus from under a nail, then the primary concern is that it is infected, and most likely a bacterial infection. This type of infection will usually not respond to topical antibiotics, so it is not surprising that it has not gotten better with the antibiotic cream. Treatment would usually require oral antibiotic, and it may require drainage of any collection of pus.

The nails that are hard to trim are frequently due to a fungal infection under the nail. The over the counter antifungal medicines will usually not work well for nail fungus. There are some prescription medicines that can work better for nail fungus, although nail fungal infections are not as concerning as the a bacterial infection that is causing a pus collection.

If you have pictures that you can attach of the various nails, then I can make additional comments.

I have not received any pictures of the nails.

If you can take pictures, they can be attached using the icon on the tool bar that looks like a paper clip.