Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician
Experience:  14 years of Family Practice Experience including most dermatology problems
13781349

I have a blister on my rib cage that appeared out of nowhere

Customer Question

I have a blister on my rib cage that appeared out of nowhere on monday. It's grown slightly and is slightly red around the area. I woke up today with a slight itch. The most concerning part is that there is an associated ache in the surrounding area… My rib cage, waist, and slightly wrapping around to my back area… The color of the blister is starting to darken slightly as well.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

I would advise that you have this checked tomorrow. If you have pain and ache or sensitivity of the skin that wraps from waist to back then I worry that it could be a presentation of shingles. This causes appearance of bumps then blisters on the skin. It tends to cause pain and sensitivity of the skin in a band distribution on one side only. The trunk area is the most common for shingles. If it were shingles then you would benefit to have it quickly diagnosed and start on anti-viral treatment. It may be from other cause but this concern would be of much benefit to diagnose quickly and treat if that should be your culprit.

I hope that this information is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD