dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I was bitten by our cat on Tuesday. After treating the area

Customer Question

I was bitten by our cat on Tuesday. After treating the area with hydrogen peroxide to see if there was an infection and with an antibiotic ointment for two days, the redness and swelling on my lower arm has nearly disappeared and the itching began on Friday, but the area is still very tender to the touch. Is there anything else I should do. If the redness and swelling had lasted longer, I was prepared to see a doctor.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should see your doctor or go to urgent care to have antibiotics because it seems to be bacteria infection called Pasteurella, Capnocytophaga, or anaerobes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you base your diagnosis on the initial symptoms or on the present condition?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Because the area is still very tender to the touch. The symptoms of bite wound infections may include fever, erythema, swelling, tenderness, purulent drainage, and lymphangitis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far the slight swelling that remains and the tenderness are the only symptoms, but I am watching my temperature which is not even quite 98 yet today. Thank you very much for your help. I will be going to urgent care, rather than wait for an appointment with my doctor.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Take care.