Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Well, I have bumps on my scalp that are suddenly spreading

Customer Question

Well, I have bumps on my scalp that are suddenly spreading to my face, which I have burned now trying to kill these things. I am find these same type of bumps, tiny ones, but same type, having a sharp pain right in the center.
I have had this on my scalp for years now and then, usually goes away when I bleach my hair, but about 3-4 weeks later, they come back, first as an itch, then that sharp painful "head" which I generally pick and then rinse my head with peroxide or salt water.
THIS TIME IS LIKE THE SCORGE OF JOB, MANY ON MY SCALP WHICH HAS COST A LOT OF HAIR LOSS. A BUNCH OF THEM CONNECTED AT THE BASE OF THE BACK OF MY NECK AND I'M USING EVERYTHING KNOWN TO MAN TO KILL THIS STUFF AS I HAVE SEEN PICTURES OF FOLLITITIS AND SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS AND LICHEN PLANUS, AND YOU CANNOT LET THIS GROW, CATCH ON AND HAVE ITS OWN WAY. I HAVE NOW SCARED MY FACE, EITHER WITH STRONG ESSENTIAL OILS OR ALL THE VINEGAR OR SALT POLTICE i USED. OK, IN TWO DAYS i HAVE LIKELY KILLED THESE OUT BREAKS.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you know whether a culture was done before the erythromycin was started last night?

Could you attach a picture of the area?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

It is certainly true that Staph is a common cause of skin infections. However, there are two major forms of Staph. The most worrisome type of Staph is resistant to common antibiotics, but the most common type of Staph does not have this resistance. The method for identification of whether a resistant form of Staph is present is by a culture.

The erythromycin is frequently effective for the common sensitive form of Staph, although even for the sensitive Staph, there is no antibiotic that works 100% of the time. So there is a good chance that you may respond to this medicine - it just may take some time.

If a culture shows that it is a resistant form of Staph, that is harder to treat with oral antibiotics, and Bactrim would more commonly be used.