DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

Sebaceous Cyst and Antibiotic questions: I have an inflamed

Customer Question

Sebaceous Cyst and Antibiotic questions: I have an inflamed (infected?) sebacious cyst on my back and it's been slowly getting worse for the past 2 weeks or more. My doctor prescribed Doxycycline which I finished a week ago, but the cyst only stopped getting
worse for a few days, and now has continued to slowly get worse. About the same time as my doctor gave me that, the surgeon I saw who was scheduled to remove the cyst gave me Clindamycin (oral) because I was going out of town and he said (if it turns red,
start taking this). I am now on my second day of that antibiotic. I canceled the surgery appointment because they were going to knock me out with propofol and that is not only unecessary but seems risky, expensive and will cause me to have to get a ride to
and from the hospital (and I really don't know anyone around here - haven't been in this area very long). today I started having diarhea (or at least very loose stool) and began reading about Clindamycin. I read that it is a strong antibiotic which leads to
C. diff infections which is very scary (I use to work with a colleague who studied this - scary infection!). Questions: 1) Should I stop taking Clindamycin?, 2) What would you suggest I do about the cyst? Have it lanced? Have it removed? and 3) Do you agree
with the surgeon that I need to be under general anestesia for this? (I had another about an inch away from this one and almost identical several years ago and it was just removed or lanced in the ER, just local numbing injections and I drove there and home,
worked out great and never came back). Thoughts/advice?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.

1.) I would stop Clindamycin, because it has these side effects and isn't able to heal your cyst. 2.) I would have the cyst removed, because it will cause you endless trouble if you don't. 3.) I haven't seen your cyst, but most don't need general anaesthesia . Only very big ones will. My advice: Ask for local anaesthesia and for good reasons not to use it, if they don't want to.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no surgeons in my area willing to do it.

This is not nice to hear. Then it must be a real big thing! Maybe you should have a general anesthesia after all

It was my pleasure to answer your question. I am sorry that the surgeons don't oblige, but this isn't my fault. As I told you I would ask them for their reasons wanting a GA. If I can help you with another answer, let me know. If not, please remeber ro rate. Thank you and take care!