DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician
55099014

I have had a bump a week ago and while I was on lunch it

Customer Question

I have had a bump a week ago and while I was on lunch it started to itch right between my head and shaft of my penis. It itched for about 45 minutes. When I went to the bathroom I saw two bumps present. Off course one would freak out. Later on that day
it was very uncomfortable to walk every time I would walk it would itch. While idle it would not itch. Later on that night I saw this clear discharge leak from the bump. My glands in my thighs raised and after about 2-3 days they reduced in size and went away.
Now I am freaking out because I don't have insurance to go to the doctor
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New pictures in regards ***** ***** issue that I had about 2 weeks ago.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more pics?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do,
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

its not painful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have it there anymore these pictures were taking about 2 weeks ago. During this time when I initially saw this, I was sitting down and this area started itching. I walked around and as I was walking it started itching more. About 45 minutes passed and I went to the bathroom at work and I saw 1 large bump and 2 little bumps in the area. I sat back down at my desk and it stopped itching. As I would get up it would itch (probably because of the clothes) I noticed that my glands were large and hurt. Later on that night I noticed that there was a clear discharge from that area. It drained for about a day or two then reduced in size. It would only hurt when I would touch it.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

It could have been a herpes outbreak. you need tested

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my question is, does herpes usually happen like this? Meaning I have heard that they usually crust over and leave corrosion like residue on the infected area. Or could it be folliculitis, I have also heard that this condition can have this discharge as well.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

Yes, an infection is possible.

an infected gland or cyst. Or even follliculitis

but given the glands were sore, I would get tested for herpes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will get tested for that then. So is that the determining factor between folliculitis and herpes is the glands being swollen?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

folliculitis can do it too.

It is just much more common with herpes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so how is one to determine with an examination if it is herpes or folliculitis? Or is a blood test or culture the only way?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

you would need a blood test for herpes antibodies