Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I had both my big toe nails removed and there is no more

Customer Question

I had both my big toe nails removed and there is no more nail bed. Is there a cosmetic surgery to have nails in plant ?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, there are prosthetic cosmetic toenails

a podiatrist or foot doctor can put them in.

have you seen a podiatrist doctor yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been to two podiatrists and one orthopaedic surgeon in Johannesburg South Africa and informed me it is not done.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

it is done in the USA.

http://keryflex.com/

http://www.dallaspodiatryworks.com/practice_areas/toenail-restoration-treatment-for-ugly-nails.cfm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I I recently contacted an authority on the Keryflex procedure and they will not place these nails in cases such as mine where there is only nail bed. The nails do NOT adhere to the nail bed in the absence of at least some sort of nail plate. There must be at least some nail plate available to adhere o the toe.My question is: Is there any way to (safely) attach a nail of some sort to a nail bed without any nail plate whatsoever?
A final word: I understand this may seem to be merely a cosmetic concern, but it is also a quality of life issue for many people such as myself and I would appreciate a more concrete feedback .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you can have a nail bed transplantation surgery from one of your other toes to trasplant part of the nailbed to the large toe

once that grows, then a prosthetic nail can be adhered onto the nail there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially you stated that it is possible to have a prosthetic cosmetic nail and asked me whether I have seen a foot doctor or a podiatrist. I replied that I had seen two podiatrists and an orthopaedic surgeon in South Africa.
You then informed me that in the US it is done and referred me to Keriflex website.
In your last reply, you briefly described the process to transplant a nail bed from other toes to the big one. There is no reference of whether it has been done before or who would perform this type of surgery.
I find the answers to my question vague and superficial.
Kindly arrange for a refund of the amount paid on my credit card.
Thank you