Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am having a cluster of small spots on the shaft of my

Customer Question

Hi I am having a cluster of small white spots on the shaft of my penis and seems like it is contagious since the spots have somewhat spread to my middle finger which makes contact with that area somewhat reguraly. What do I need to do to treat this and what could this be?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can see it on the right side in the picture of my penis I have uploaded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

When I try to zoom in on the image, it is not clear.

Could you attach a close-up picture of the area? Or a higher resolution image from the same distance that will allow zooming?

Could you also attach a picture of the finger?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached the two pictures. The first get one is unclear but they are very hard to see on my finger. Skin colored. One of the pictures of my fingers get should be clear.

Although the pictures of the penis are not the best, ***** ***** at low power is worrisome for warts. You are correct that the finger lesions are not well seen on the picture of the finger. However., the typical genital warts are not easily spread to the fingers. Common warts will frequently affect the fingers, and while common warts usually do not affect the genitals, it is more likely that a common wart can affect the genitals than a genital wart can affect the fingers.

It is important to note that both common and genital warts are due to the same type of virus, HPV, but it is different strains that cause the respective types of warts. It is important to note that the uncommon cases of common warts that affect the genitals apparently do not carry the same risk for cancer as is present for genital warts.

At this point, it would be appropriate for you to see your doctor, as a physical examination will better determine whether these are due to warts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything I can get over the counter to treat this?

There are over the counter products for freezing warts that is primarily marketed for common warts, but can also be used on the genitals. It is not as strong as the freezing that can be done by a doctor, so that it can be safe enough to be offered over the counter, but it will still work some of the time and is the best that can be done over the counter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From my symptoms I thought it was Molluscum Contagiosum. Does that sound right? I will be going to the doctor very soon.

Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection that can look like warts, but the differentiation requires a close-up view to look for a characteristic central depression or umbilication, and zooming in on the picture does not allow for an assessment for this characteristic. However, the possibility of warts is more of a concern than the possibility of molluscum contagiosum, so the reason that being seen would be important would be to identify whether it is from warts.

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.