Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a blemish on the corner of my lip that im not sure if

Customer Question

I have a blemish on the corner of my lip that im not sure if it could be herpes or a wart. And also dont know how to get rid of it
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the blemish?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's somewhat raised. Which is kind of tough to see in the picture

Actually, this has more of an appearance of an inflammation of the lips at the corner of the mouth, called angular cheilitis. Although this can occur as a type of bacterial or fungal infection, it also can be a reaction to something to which the lips have come in contact or from nutritional deficiencies, such as of B-vitamins or iron levels.

Herpes can also affect the corner of the mouth, but this does not have the typical appearance of a herpes lesion.

There are a couple of simple home interventions that can be done. The first is simple cleaning with soap and water, then the application of an antibiotic ointment to cover common skin germs or petroleum jelly, which can protect the area from substances to which it may be coming in contact. Taking a general multivitamin supplement is also reasonable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had it for about 10-12 days now. I began using a generic cold sore cream about a week ago and started using actual abreva today. If that info helps at all.
Should I stop using that and begin using neosporin?

Yes, it would be appropriate to stop the Abreva and use the Neosporin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. You have eased a lot of my nerves from this. I'll be sure to give you a great review once this is gone!!

You are very welcome.