Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have four small clusters of bumpy skin, one of them is

Customer Question

Hi good evening, I have four small clusters of bumpy skin, one of them is itchy. They are all on the back side of my hands, two on each. They are the same color of my skin so they aren't easily visible. It looks like a fifth is coming up. Sometimes they appear to be swollen. I'm a bit concerned. Thanks for the help
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

How long have you had this problem? Would the problem show up in a photograph?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had it for over a week and it can come up on a picture.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photograph. Does exposure to sunlight make these bumps itch more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, I haven't been spending too much time in the sun. Though I've been working on a factory for the last month or month and a half. And I've been experiencing big teperature changes. Like working in an attic which gets really hot then possibly moving to a refrigerated area at 40 degree f. I've gotten heat rash from work in in the attic but it's different and it goes away.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. The location and appearance of these bumps are quite suggestive of a reaction to UV light called PMLE (Polymorphous Light Eruption). It might also be an allergic reaction to something else. Rarer skin conditions like Granuloma Annulare (papular variant) can also look like this.

I would suggest mixing Cortizone-10 ointment with Bacitracin ointment in a 1:1 ratio and applying this twice a day on the affected area for a week to see if that helps. Orally take Tablet Claritin 10 mg once or twice a day as required for the itching. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription. If you feel better in a week then continue the creams for a week after complete clearance of the bumps. Also keep your skin well moisturized, avoid harsh soaps, and use an SPF 30 or higher sunscreen every morning and afternoon (irrespective of whether you are going out or not).

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.