Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Odd red spots on penis shaft. What are these?

Customer Question

Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not painfull. Basically, I just noticed them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 small red spots on scrotum as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday was day 1 of noticing them. I took a bunch of Valtrex from my brother (being paranoid that's what it could be) Today they are a little milder. getting smaller. There's bee no pain that I can really tell per se. No blisters that I can tell either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also had intercourse with condom a week ago, and with no condom yesterday which could have caused friction. I dunno
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The first picture is not in good focus, so these comments are based upon the remaining four images, two of which are identical. In addition, there are no pictures of the scrotum.

These red spots do not look herpetic. They look most likely to be a small area of inflammation, and if they are already a little milder and slightly smaller, that is a good sign. It is possible to get minor irritation/inflammation from friction, but it is more common that it is a reaction to something to which the skin has come in contact. It also would be unusual for the scrotum to be affected by friction that occurs during penile-vaginal sex, although it would be possible if there was a specific action affecting the scrotum. The most common substance to which men can react are residual on the skin from certain scents or cleaning products, which can be either personal or laundry cleaning products.

Since the spots are already slightly better, it is likely that they will resolve without any interventions beyond good cleaning.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information or if you had intended to attach pictures of the scrotum.