DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

Please assign this to Dr. Nair. Nair, lately i've

Customer Question

Please assign this to Dr. Nair. Hi Dr. Nair, lately i've developed a scabby scalp.. i have never had this before.. i saw a local dermatologist and she prescribed a steroid + Ketoconazole Shampoo.. i have been using it for a while and it's not helping at
all.. if anything i would say it's worse.. so i stopped using it and tried a apple cider vinegar rinse.. still no help.. do you have any idea of what it can be and how to treat it? also i feel my hair is thing in the area of where it is scabby.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture attached.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Dr. Nair has apparently not been around.

What was your local derm docs diagnosis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she said it was a yeast issue.. i'm waiting on a call back for the exact name of it.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

did she sample this for the lab?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she did not.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

OK

The picture is not detailed enough or close enough to the skin, or magnified of the skin, to be sure...

But in fact this does look like fungal infection.

It should be sampled for the lab.

In addition a direct antifungal ointment should be applied, and the shampoo and maybe an oral antifungal at this point.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was diagnosed as seborrheic dermatitis .. how can i treat this.. the shampoo and steroid liquid did not help
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

The shampoo should be alternated with a medicine called temovate which is also a scalp product ordered by your doctor. That should be used twice a week as well.

I would stop the steroid.

Talk to your doctor about this.

, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.