Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

How can I help heal a friction burn on the labia? It's so

Customer Question

How can I help heal a friction burn on the labia? It's so painful
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

How long have you had the burn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since early Tuesday AM, we were intimate Monday.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. A simple friction burn should have healed on its own by now which makes me think that your friction burn may be infected. This will explain both the slow healing as well as the pain. I would suggest washing the area with a mild soap like dove and applying Bacitracin ointment twice a day. Orally take Tablet Advil 400 mg twice a day (after meals). Both of these are available over the counter without a prescription. If you feel better within 48 hours then continue this line of management for a week or so and that should take care of matters. If you're not better then you need to see a doctor in person to have oral antibiotics prescribed and get evaluated for a primary herpes episode.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The places are open and I feel so much better after I apply a warm compress. With me having to move a LOT (I'm a stay at home mom with two small children) could that delay the healing process? The movement?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Yes it could but really it should not be a dominant factor. You can continue the warm compresses but I would strongly suggest starting the Bacitracin ointment as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that ointment burn?? The other ointment I was given by the doc burns so bad I don't wanna even put it on. It didn't burn to begin with, but once the spots opened up it started burning. And now it looks like the skin is trying to regrow, there's no puss or anything, just white and patchy like a burn from a lighter when it starts to heal.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

The ointment usually doesn't burn. White and patchy could indicate a fungal or yeast infection of the abrasion - I would also suggest getting 1% Lotrimin cream and mixing this with the Bacitracin ointment in a 1:1 ratio and applying twice a day. Again you can buy this over the counter without a prescription.

Kindly consider rating our interaction to enable me to get credit for my work with you. You can continue to follow up even after if required. Thank you.