khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

A deep red splotch the size of a nickel just suddenly

Customer Question

A deep red splotch the size of a nickel just suddenly appeared under my eye even though no injury occurred. What could this be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Can you attach the photos here? Any medical problem? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any symptoms such as pain and itching? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't there in the morning - a lot of people saw me in the morning - and then by the time my daughter came home from school it was there. I wasn't feeling well (fatigue related probably to fibro) and had slept the mid afternoon - afternoon.I am 5'5 123lbs.I have:
Osteoarthritis
Fibromyalsia
Nitral valve prolapse
Hypoglycemia
Migraine headacheI take:
Cymbalta 120mg - anxiety & pain
Gabapentin 600 3x day - anxiety & pain
Suboxone 8mg 3x day - pain
Tylenol 500 - prn pain (infrequently)
Bellsomra 10mg - prn sleepSurgeries:
Sinus 2014
Tubal ligation 2010
Oophectomy 2010
Uterine ablation 2010
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mitralOh! No pain at all and no itching.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Did your daughter find it after you slept the mid afternoon?

Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

When you touch it, does it hurt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She saw it after she got home which was after I woke up.It doesn't hurt at all to touch it or press on it.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It seems to be a purpura. Since it is only one purpura, it could be due to weak blood vessels. It would disappear gradually. If you have multiple ones, you should see your doctor to have a blood test to check platelet and a biopsy of the skin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should it take to go away if that is indeed what it is? If I takes longer should I see a doctor? What sort of reasons would cause this to occur suddenly and in my sleep?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It would take several weeks. If it lasts for a long time without decreasing in the size, you should see a doctor. You might have pressed your face on the pillow or somewhere on the bed during sleeping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I normally press my face on the pillow while I am sleeping. that is what the pillow is for. Im not sure I received this mark from using a pillow. :/
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

I think it is possible. Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm supposed to pay $30 to hear - my pillow bruised me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll never use this service again and I'll make sure no one I know does. This is terrible. Laughable.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Another possibility is you could have amyloidosis. But you don't have any other symptoms for it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. I wrote up there that I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalia. Many of the symptoms of Fibromyalia are also the symptoms for some types of amyloidosis. We all know Fibro can be a place marker for other more rare diseases waiting for other symptoms to pop up. I have constant fatigue, incontenence, neurological pain etc...I took this to my doctor and she ordered immediate testing. If you had stopped at blaming my pillow and I hadn't said anything you'd have totally let me down. See you didn't ask me for symptoms from anything else, just if the mark causes pain and itching. Maybe this thing is a really bad idea... If I had believe my pillow caused a purple bruise I may not have gone further with it and getting treatment as early as possibly if very important.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

I am thinking about you. Another possibility for an easy bruise is leukemia. You will find out if you have it or not from the blood test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would show up on a protein electrophoresis and kappa/lambda light chains? ;)The fibro dx is new. I've had many blood tests. We would have seen that.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

I don't think it will show up on it. Another possibility is ITP (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) that show decrease platelet in the blood test.