Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was given Desonide and Protopic a few years ago my

Customer Question

Hi there, I was given Desonide and Protopic a few years ago for what my dermatologist diagnosed as Seborrheic Dermatitis (only occurs around the creases of my nose). After running out, I saw another doctor and was prescribed Xologel. The first night I used Xologel, I woke up the next morning and the rash was bad. I kept using it for a couple more days but it kept getting worse. After doing some research, I'm starting to wonder if my condition is actually Perioral Dermatitis caused be excessive use of the Desonide steroid. Are you able to offer any advice?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that the original issue was seborrheic dermatitis and later evolved into perioral dermatitis from the use of steroid creams, such as the Desonide. If there is suspicion that perioral dermatitis could be present, the usual next step would be to stop all steroids creams. Instead, it may be reasonable to use a medicine that affects the immune system by a different mechanism and may help either seborrheic dermatitis or perioral dermatitis, such as tacrolimus or pimecrolimus.