Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I noticed my ear itching slightly two nights ago. Yesterday

Customer Question

I noticed my ear itching slightly two nights ago. Yesterday I took a photo of my ear as the itch worsened, and I saw the rash starting behind my ear. It itches severely, and and also itches into my ear canal and ear lobe. Zyrtec and Benadryl have had no effect. My left ear also shows slight signs of a rash, but not nearly as bad. Can you give me an idea of what this could be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

A generalised allergic reaction to something can start from the ears, or this may be a localised allergic reaction to something that came into contact with the area. An eczema called Seborrheic Dermatitis can also start from the ear lobes - the skin is dry initially but then later can become scaly.

This might help:

Cortizone-10 cream + 1% Lotrimin cream: Mix in equal parts and apply twice a day on the affected areas. Cleanse the area with a soap free cleanser like Cetaphil cleansing lotion prior to application. Orally take Tablet Claritin 10 mg twice a day. If the symptoms are better in 5-7 days then continue the creams twice a day till the itching and redness clear and then once at night for 7 days followed by alternate nights for 7 days more. This slow taper is essential to prevent a recurrence.

All of the above are available over the counter without a prescription.

If the above line of management does not help in a week or so then you should have a doctor take a look at this in person.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

This might help: