DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

I'm a 49 year old caucasian male and I've had a red spot on

Customer Question

I’m a 49 year old caucasian male and I’ve had a red spot on my forehead (about 1/4 of an inch in diameter) for at least 9 or 10 months now. It doesn’t hurt and hasn’t gotten any worse.
I’ve tried putting hydrocortisone cream on it, as well as a clotrimazole cream, but neither has helped.
I have a history of these kinds of spots, especially on my scalp and behind my ears. Most of them clear up with hydrocortisone cream, but a few have lingered and then become permanents marks, faded from their original redness but still visible.
Any ideas of what this could be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Please attach a picture

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached two photos. The larger spot on the right, near the hairline is the one I've had for many months. The other smaller ones are more recent. Perhaps the same thing?
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

If it comes and goes, rosacea.

An adult acne.

This is a mild case.

Unless it bothers you, treatment is not needed.

If it does, metrogel can be prescribed by your doctor.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the same spot for at least 10 months, with no change. That doesn't sound like any acne I've even had. Is that normal for rosacea?
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

I thought you said it comes and goes?

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

why don't you circle the spot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mostly they do come and go, but I've had this particular spot for 9 or 10 months.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

OK

Has this changed over the years at all?>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I've only been getting these kinds of red spots for the last 8 or 10 years. I had typical acne well into my late twenties/early thirties, but not this kind of thing. And they've gotten a bit worse in the last few years, perhaps stress related. A few of them were red like this one for some months and then became permanent, though less red. You can see a few of those in the photos. They're still reddish, but faded.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

OK

Most likely they are skin damage from sunlight.

In some cases these can be squamous cell cancer.

You need to see a dermatologist and have an exam under a dermatascope.

Most likely, hyperpigmentation due to sun damage.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are also brownish spots on my forehead that you can see in the photos. Those I've always thought came from the sun (my complexion is quite light). But those are different. Is there nothing else these could be?
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Yes squamous cell cancer

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

It can stay stable for a long time, but can eventually cause problems.

Exam needed as stated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll look into getting it checked then (though I don't have insurance). Thanks for you time.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

one visit should be enough.

Do not wait.

Please click a positive rating.

Come back if needed.