Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I am currently using Econazole Nitrate 1% and every time I

Customer Question

I am currently using Econazole Nitrate 1% and every time I apply in the fungal infection area it burns from scale 1-10, 7. I've been using it for 3 days. It looks the same but how long would I go through this?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The infected area is on between the legs and testicles. However it has spread. The left side is worse. (purple redish). It burns badly. Doctor prescribed me the cream I mentioned and I am wondering if its normal what my symptoms are. No itching just only burning. It looks like a rash though. Let me know please.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added three. Its kind of disturbing. I hope you can help me!
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photographs. Okay so this does look most like a yeast infection for which Econazole normally works very well. However you may be allergic to it which is what is causing the burning after its application. As such I would suggest stopping it and trying the following:

1% Clotrimazole cream + Neosporin cream: Mix in equal parts and apply over the affected areas twice a day for 7 days and then once at night for 7 days more. Please complete the 14 day treatment even if the symptoms clear up sooner. If you don’t see an improvement within 48-72 hours of initiating therapy then add Cortizone-10 cream to the regimen - that is mix it with the other two creams in a 1:1:1 ratio and apply twice a day as described above. Wash the area with a mild soap like dove while bathing.

Tablet Advil 400 mg twice a day (after meals) for 1-2 days will help the burning.

Once the creams are stopped it will be important to keep the groins as clean and dry as possible to prevent a recurrence. To this end using Zeasorb-AF powder once or twice a day for a few weeks will be very useful.

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.