Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I'm a 54 year old male. I have a spot on my right index

Customer Question

Hello:
I’m a 54 year old male.
I have a spot on my right index finger that I am uncertain about.
The following is a link to a couple of pictures taken about 4 days apart:
https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D6390093_60081638_8207463
I was diagnosed with CML in 2009 and currently it is undetectable. I take Gleevec every day for therapy There are a variety of side effects.
In fall 2010 my GP found what turned out to be a small melanoma in situ on my back. Surgery was done and I was followed closely for 3 years. A second suspicious spot was removed from my stomach a couple of years ago; it was not melanoma.
I noticed this spot about a week ago and I’m sure it was not there a month ago. I was stung by a wasp on that hand about two weeks ago. I can’t say of this is the exact spot. Other than that I don’t recall any direct trauma. I don’t think there have been any noticeable changes in the spot over the last week.
As a result of my history I am often anxious about health matters. With the Gleevec there are a lot of sides so it is difficult to know at times, what to follow up on.
Do you have any ideas what this spot might be and do I need this seen at a clinic? I can’t get into my GP for a few weeks. I could get to dermatology clinic sooner possibly.
Any reassurance and/or suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank-you.
Clayton
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

This looks like a small bruise to me - such bruises are very common on the finger and can occur from unnoticed trauma. An insect bite can also be the cause. The shape, color, and the way the spot extends in one direction (7 o'clock in your picture) all suggest a finger bruise to me. This will gradually change color and disappear over the next 2-3 week. It may even flake off. So for now I would advise just observing it for this period - if it remains unchanged then you should have a dermatologist take a look at it in person.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.