Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Nair - Thank you help with the Impetigo - The dermatologist

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Nair - Thank you for the help with the Impetigo - The dermatologist I saw here in Panama Prescribed Ciroproxafan instead of your recomendation - she said cipro was stronger - I have been on it for 6-7 days and it appears to be clearing up a little.
I was not happy with the doctor when she ferousiosly scrubbed and applied pressure "to relieve the pus" - and it took a while for me to find the microdacsyn. My question is how long will it take for the rest of this thing to go away? Is this all scar tissue
now? Will this new outgrowth of tissue shed off - soon? later? Will I need plastic surgery to remove the tissue? - thank you - Charlie Kirkman
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

You're most welcome! It should start clearing up within a week once the med is started. I don't like Ciprofloxacin for Impetigo - the bacteria (STAPH) that causes it is often resistant. If you don't see at least 50% improvement (as in drying and less redness of the patches) within 7 days I would suggest getting a second opinion for a different antibiotic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What antibiotic is best for staph?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK just got back from Dermatologist. They said since it is showing good improvement they wanted me to stay on Cipro. I am guessing this is a wait and see thing. The extra tissue feels like scar tissue I have had in other areas after major abrasions. Finally the scar tissue fell off. - I am hoping the same?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Okay that's fine then - yes the scab typically dries up and fall off. Can take 2-3 weeks sometimes